Start Your Own Business is a half credit Grade 10 course that includes the following topics;
1. Introduction to Business- all about business, skills needed, law of demand and supply
2. Forms of Business Ownership- partnership, corporation, sole proprietorship
3. The Marketing Environment- target markets, competition, profit
4. Develop the Product or Service- name, logo design, business locations, production
5. Financial Planning and Analysis- financial statements, budgeting, break-even points, assets, types of credit
6. Managing and Protecting Your Business- effective communication, human resources, contracts, insurance
Retailing is a full credit Grade 10 course that includes the following topics;
1. Intro to Retailing
2. Store Policies- handling money, customer service
3. Analyzing Target Markets- know you customer, product knowledge
4. The Buying Process- the buying cycle
5. Inventory- receiving and storing inventory
6. Pricing- pricing strategies and procedures
7. Store Image, Layout and Design- store location, store image, displays
8. The Selling Process
|Meet Mae Quinlan|
Mae is currently a learner at Swan River Adult. She completed Grade 10 Start Your Own Business and Grade 11 Retailing in the 2012-2013 school year and is currently working on her Grade 10 Essentials Math. Mae's future plans are to also take Grade 11 Promotions in the current school year.
Mae has just launched her own business called Jacklegger's Wear which is an online clothing company geared towards the mining industry. Jacklegger's Wear offers hoodies, sweatpants and t-shirts in a variety of designs. The start of the business coincided with her enrollment at the Adult Education Centre. "The Start Your Own Business course provided me with essential information about income, expenses, balancing debits and credits and most importantly with creating a business plan. The Retailing course provided me with insight in managing my inventory and how to target specific markets."
Mae has plans to continue to expand her business by adding more product and appealing to more than the mining market. She is very anxious to begin Grade 11 Promotions to assist her with this business expansion.
Mae's product line can be viewed at:
If you have any questions about any of the business courses offered at Swan River Adult Education, please stop in or call.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.